How Misalignment in the Neck Causes Headaches

Headache treatment san francisco Millions of people suffer with chronic neck pain and headaches…many of them taking medications every day for the pain. Some migraine headache sufferers are not able to work. Most are just unable to enjoy life to it's fullest.

I know first hand what it's like to suffer severe migraine headaches. It's how I was introduced to chiropractic 30 years ago. Even though I was only 22 years old and in great shape, I was stricken with severe migraines that doctors and specialists could not figure out. I had blood tests, cat scans, MRI, hearing tests, and x-rays. I was prescribed Perkodan for the pain and developed an allergic reaction and had to have my stomach pumped. At one point I was told to prepare for the worst because I could have a brain tumor (nice huh?).

It wasn't until a client of mine (I was a stock broker at the time) called me at home to see how I was doing that anyone suggested chiropractic (I had not even thought about it). He happened to be a chiropractor.

My medical doctors said I was nuts and that my problem was chemical and organic in nature, not physical…and to be careful because chiropractors can hurt people.

The way I figured it was..what did I have to lose? I would have cut off a pinkie at that point to get my life back. Well…the rest is history.

My chiropractor told me I had several misalignment's in my neck…especially the top vertebrae, the Atlas. Chiropractors call these misalignment's Vertebral Subluxations. He could tell they had been there a long time because of the degeneration on my x-rays and the condition of the surrounding soft tissues.

He prescribed a series of chiropractic adjustments, massage, traction, exercises, ice, and a cervical pillow. Now I did not think for one second that this was going to help me. I remember thinking that this was nuts. But about 6 hours after my first treatment I started feeling better. I thought it was just a coincidence.

Then I went in the next day to be checked and get my next adjustment. The pain had come back…but still it felt a lot better. This went on for about 3-4 weeks until the headaches were completely gone. My treatment plan was for 8 weeks. I thought I was better though and stopped treatment. Actually, I still thought the headaches went away on their own. But then they came back.

I went back in with my tail between my legs and finished my program. The headaches were gone. It was this experience as a chiropractic patient with severe neck pain and headaches that made me want to become a chiropractor…and I did.

Because of this I have been able to help thousands of patients with neck pain and headaches. I know first hand what it's like to feel their pain…and to get the runaround…and to be bedridden.  And I know what to do about it. For the most part,  the neck pain and headache treatment we deliver in San Francisco, is the same treatment I recieved 30 years ago. The same treatment helping thousands of headache patients every day.

So, if you or someone you know is suffering with neck pain and headaches…give chiropractic a chance…and let me know how it went by commenting on this blog. Thank You chiropractic!

Dr. Eben Davis is clinic director of Executive Express Chiropractic in downtown San Francisco. To schedule an appointment for neck pain and headaches treatment in San Francisco call 415-492-2225. Mention this blog post for a complimentary consultation.

Check-out our 5 Star Reviews

San francisco chiropractor reviews citysearch

Eben Davis

I am a Chiropractor in the San Francisco Financial District specializing in chronic neck, arm and hand pain. I also treat herniated discs using spinal decompression, whiplash, sports injuries, headaches, and Fibromyalgia. My clinic is certified in the use of Deep Tissue Laser Therapy with the LiteCure LCT-1000 for conditions such as shoulder pain, TMJ and Plantar Fasciitis. I have been in practice for over 20 years.

More Posts - Website

TwitterFacebookLinkedInGoogle PlusYouTube

17 thoughts on “How Misalignment in the Neck Causes Headaches

1. Blaine T.

I suffer from frequent headaches and sometimes they do interfere with my ability to do my job (I work in an office). Frankly, I am a little skeptical about visiting a Chiropractor. I’ve never seen one before and I hear all kinds opinions regarding them. What I do know is that traditional medical care doesn’t seem to be helping much and I don’t want to get addicted to strong painkillers. After reading this I think I may just give chiropractic treatment a whirl. Thanks for the encouragement!

2. Abby W.

Hi everyone. I’m a person who experienced a lot of headaches and wasn’t getting anywhere with my regular medical doctor. I tried going to chiropractor with happy results. My Chiropractor attributed my headaches to muscle tension in my neck. This makes sense because I work in a call center at a desk all day. I don’t get to move around a lot and usually have to stay in the same position all day long. He provided me with a variety of strategies to combat this at work and also got me started on a low impact exercise program. Now I also see him for some lower back pain I was experiencing and that is working out well also. Thanks for this helpful blog!

3. David Livingston, D.C.

I see in my clinic everyday headache sufferers who have been wrongly diagnosed and consequently given pain killers. The pain killers quickly and effectively had diminished their quality of life by creating a “fog effect”.
    A Chiropractic exam which includes orthopedic, radiographic and neurologic tests can help the Chiropractor locate the cause of the headache and reduce the causative factors. Once this is accomplished, the spinal adjustment does the trick…no drugs, no worries. I like that!

4. Dr. Michael Pound

We have many headache sufferers whom find relief with chiropractic care. In addition, we have had great success using laser treatment in addition to muscle release techniques and chiropractic adjustments to relieve some of the worst headaches our patients have experienced.

5. cheap customized jerseys

6. adams

Thanks a lot for the beneficial post, really helped me out. Now it seems obvious how bones out of place can cause neck pain or headaches. I need to try chiropractic.

7. baker

A visit with Dr Davis is all you need to feel better. I used to have neck pain and headaches and saw many headache and neck pain doctors in San Francisco. Executive Express Chiropractic and Dr. Eben Davis are the best hands down.

8. gonzalez

Thanks Dr.Eben Davis for the professional treatment on my neck. You and your staff helped me in time of need with two treatments and then two more follow up treatments to make sure I was recovering well. I’ll be sure to let my friends know about you. Thanks again.

9. nelson

This was really helpful for me. Dr. Eben Davis is brilliant and has spent a lot of time helping to educate our group on the benefits of chiropractic and natural healing. This is time he was not paid for or asked to do.

10. carter

Unfortunately there are many being mistreated for neck pain. There are so man ways to waste money on useless miracle cures. The Executive Express Chiropractic approach makes so much sense to me. In general, I do not like the cracking sounds some chiropractors make…but it feels so good and I do know chiropractic is safe.

11. mitchell

Hey there I liked your post and just wanted to take 2 minutes of my time to say thanks it was just what i was looking for anyway keep up the good work. It really is amazing how the body can heal it’s own injuries.

12. perez

The chiropractors at Executive Express are really down to earth. I can not say enough good things about how much they helped me and my family.

13. roberts

My wife has been a patient of Dr. Davis for some time, so when I had neck pain I went to see him. In the first visit, most of my pain was gone, and a few visits later, I was pain free!! He was very friendly and really knew what he was talking about. Thanks Dr. Davis!!

14. Lizzie

My mother complains a lot about her head and neck pains. I told her about your site and how much you can help. I think she will be convinced in no time. Thanks for sharing!

15. Bea

I have heard good news about Executive Express Chiropractic. How they really take care of their patients. It is not just treatment that can cure people; it is also knowing someone cares for them.