Best Exercise for Forward Head Posture

Forward Head Posture Treatment San Francisco We have been practicing chiropractic in downtown San Francisco for almost 20 years now. One of the most common problems we see is Forward Head Posture (FHP). The head should be positioned over the body in such a way that from the side, your ear lobe is center with your shoulder. When we spend too much time sitting in front of a computer, our heads tend to move forward…and stay there. This can cause a chain reaction from tight neck muscles, increased pressure on the spine and discs, to neck pain, headaches, breathing problems, and insomnia.

Chiropractors are experts at preventing and correcting forward head posture. After-all, FHP is acquired. It is an adaptation to your external environment. Just like the branches of a tree by the ocean conform to the steady onshore winds…the muscles, ligaments, tendons, and spine, adapt to the constant pull towards the computer screen.

Fortunately, there are ways to correct FHP with exercise, chiropractic adjustments, ergonomic instruction, and proper sleeping position…including a cervical pillow.  Check out this video for the best exercise for Forward Head Posture that I know of. We use a foam block behind the patients upper back at our chiropractic center to enhance the treatment and make it more effective.

To schedule an appointment at Executive Express Chiropractic in San Francisco call 415-392-2225. Ask for a complimentary posture exam.

Eben Davis

I am a Chiropractor in the San Francisco Financial District specializing in chronic neck, arm and hand pain. I also treat herniated discs using spinal decompression, whiplash, sports injuries, headaches, and Fibromyalgia. My clinic is certified in the use of Deep Tissue Laser Therapy with the LiteCure LCT-1000 for conditions such as shoulder pain, TMJ and Plantar Fasciitis. I have been in practice for over 20 years.

More Posts - Website

TwitterFacebookLinkedInGoogle PlusYouTube

9 thoughts on “Best Exercise for Forward Head Posture

1. Dr-Amy Sanders

Great informative video! Minimizing forward head posture with adjustments,exercise,and proper ergonomics is key if combating conditions such as upper back pain, wrist/hand pain, and headaches!

2. Kim

Thanks Dr. Davis for this helpful post. I’ve never even thought about this before, but now that you point it out, I’ve seen many people in that Forward Head Postion at their work stations on the job and perhaps I am even guilty of it myself at times. Now that I am aware of it, I will be more likely to try and sit properly. I guess an added bonus is that we look a lot better with straight posture! The FHP stance is not too pretty. Also, thanks for the related video from YouTube. I tried the suggested exercise (to move the neck back) but it doesn’t seem to have much ability to move back. I’m not sure I am doing it right. Also I can hear a bit of a creaky sound in my ears when I try it. Is this normal? Thanks for your help!

3. Dr. Eben Davis

Thanks for the great feedback Kim. Our San Francisco Chiropractors work with forward head posture, neck pain, and headaches every day. The creaky sound you describe in your neck when doing the exercises is common. You may have a little inflammation in there, so chiropractic adjustments may help or ice.

4. Rob

I can tell by the comments people are leaving that they are poorly informed about the mechanics of FHP. Neither this article or the video even scratch the tip of the iceberg with regards to FHP. Why doesn’t the author mention the tight pectoral muscles that are inhibiting the back muscles and dragging the shoulders forward? What about tight spinal erectors that inhibit already weak abdominals? What about tight illacus and psoas muscles in the leg that inhibit the glutes? There is no one single best exercise that will solve FHP because this syndrome involves many muscle groups that are imbalanced all over your body. If you follow only this article and that video you will not fix your FHP.

5. s

Does anyone know if this condition and others related to excessive computer usage can cause chronic fatigue? i cant sit without being in pain and after a few hours i get this feelings like something coursing through my arms and back and i feel fatigued and have pains in my arms.

6. Dr. Eben Davis

Forward Head Posture (FHP) can contribute to chronic fatigue. What happens is the brain has to work harder just to hold the head upright. These takes energy away from other areas and can lead to fatigue, immune system issues, and RSI injuries, to name a few.

7. Nick

The common denomiator in FHP is oral respiration. The body’s involuntary desire to maximize airway is FHP. If you don’t solve this you’ll never solve FHP. Oral breathing is in my opinion the prime mover.